Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Leading by Fear or Faith

Making decisions can at times be terrorizing. I recall when I had to decide to tell my parents I was having a child. I had one more year to complete college and I could imagine my father’s response before I even told him. I contemplated if my mother would be disappointed and think my life was over. My thoughts were consumed with negative thoughts and nothing positive. It was as if I made up in my mind to only highlight depressing things, instead of encouraging.

Recently, since I have been in the capacity of being a leader of Healing of a Broken Heart Ministry decisions have been a natural part of the job description. Decisions have to be made daily and some require less than 24 hour responses.

As a wife and mother, decisions must be made minute by minute and responses have to be declared as quickly, as a second, depending on the situation.

We are all leaders in some capacity which require for us to make the ultimate decision. Considering decisions, captures my mind to two leaders in the Bible that many are familiar with, Saul and David. When Saul was called to be king he was in hiding (1 Samuel 10:22-23); on the other hand, when David was called to be anointed as king he came with ease (1 Samuel 16:11-13).

Throughout the recordings of Saul he displayed not wanting to take responsibility because of lack of wanting to be held accountable. David’s recordings display him as courageous. Even as a child before he entered being a king he was practicing being courageous fighting bears and lions to secure sheep.

Some call Saul a coward because he sent a child to do the work of a man. Some call David crazy because he would do things without thinking it completely through. My perception is the difference between the two is Saul lead by fear and David lead by faith. Saul would use his own logic, while David typically used his faith in God. Saul and David made mistakes but Saul practice running from making decisions while David practiced activating his faith in God to make decisions.

We all have something we are responsible to make decisions towards and deal with the consequences. The consequences are either positive or negative, yet with each decision that is made a lesson is learned and we are to grow in our faith in God, as we seek Him to help us discern the best decision to make.

How are you leading today? Are you leading by fear? Do you have all these things in your head you know you are supposed to do but because of fear and looking at what you have or don’t have you remain stuck in life? Are you leading by faith? Do you have the courage to take a chance and step out on faith to do what you feel in your heart? Do you hear what God is saying and you move even if does not make sense logically?

Consider leading by faith. Trust in the Lord with all thy heart, acknowledge God in all thy ways and He will direct your path (Proverbs 3:5-6).

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Thank you for the reminder to keep faith in God and not in my own perceptions. I am awed to read this devotional because over the last several days, 2 songs and 1 Scripture passage have been put before me and playing in my head over and over again -- I Give Myself Away and He Wants It All --and then Proverbs 3:5-7. I hear God speaking to me once again. He wants all of me, all of my faith and trust. I am learning day by day to have more faith filled responses than fear filled. I have a ways to go, but I am so thankful to God for His patience with me.

Jamila said...

You are welcome. Praise God for His Word!