Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Generosity out of Poverty

A few days ago, I received a phone call from a woman who was struggling to survive. She said, “It would be my delight to supply an offering. Through God's favor, I will do my very best to provide an offering.” The next day she said to me, “my heart wants to give but I really don’t have enough.” As we closed our conversation, I reminded her that her prayers are sufficient and God knows her heart, so that is a blessing.

Moments later she sent in a donation, saying it was only but a ‘small donation.’ Interestingly, I noticed so many others commenting saying they can only give a ‘small donation.’ Such phrases reminded of the Bible passage that speaks of a widow’s two mites.

Luke wrote: And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all. For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had. (Luke 21:1 – 4)

This Scripture is saying that when the poor widow let go of the thin, small brass coin, worth about a 1/5 of a cent; she did not have any attachments to it. She willingly gave from her heart. From her offering, we can learn that what we give to assist the poor, in the support of God’s worship, is actually given to God. God knows our heart and delights with whatever offering we give to help the Body of the Church and to bring relief to the poor.

Luke continues to say “she of her penury cast in all the living that she had.” That is, in her deficiency she gave all that she had to live off of– and it was the very thing that she was lacking.

What state of mind would we find ourselves in, if we were impoverished? Some might be saying “I am in poverty right now.” Would we have a heart to give with no strings attached? Could we say, I might not have enough for my rent this month, but I still have a roof over my head, the Lord is worthy? Would you give property, if you were lacking? Would you give resources, if you were lacking? How would you give out of poverty?

The Lord rejoices knowing we give the small we have, simultaneously giving our soul to Christ. He knows what we have because He is the reason we have anything at all. Our giving displays our attachment to possessions, to God. It shows our reliance towards our heavenly Father.

Many are struggling; some who never knew they would are facing poverty right now. The enemy wants us to believe because we lack we can’t give. It is only a trick. Some have nothing physically to give but can still lift up prayers. Some can’t give financially but know others that can pitch in financially. Some can’t buy clothes but can still share the clothes they have. Some can’t buy food but can cook a meal to share. We all have something that is satisfactory to give. When our heart connects with the Father and we seek Him about our giving, He reveals what we can give, even out of poverty.

Consider giving from your heart, knowing that our small delights Christ. Don’t think your small is not enough, for it pleases God that we give, even out of our deficiency. As the world goes through, walk with faith that you are coming through. Call upon the Lord to help, you see that the small you have is sufficient. Pray to God to help you to not cling to the things of this world but to help bring relief to the poor. Ask God to bless you so you may be a blessing to someone else. Pray to the Father to help you understand “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).

7 comments:

Jamila said...

Giving can at times be hard because you feel you lack. It can also be challenging because you want to give so much. It is imperative that you pray about your giving and if you are married always consult your spouse about your giving so that you two are in agreement and reap the returned blessing together.

Heddie J. said...

When I look at the word 'give', I am reminded of what I need to let go of. In letting go of something, you usually have some sort of attachment to it. This attachement may be physcial, emotional or even spiritual. When one lets go, there should be a bond that you allow others to identify with when they recieve that gift. In other words, give only that which you would not remind recieving which shoud represent your heart. Giving should always be from the heart. When Christ gave, He did so with his whole heart. The amount should not matter but the condiction of your heart should. Let your giving come from your heart so others could feel the love it was given out of. Let go through your giving. Let God with the recieving of your letting go.

Jamila said...

Thank you Heddie,
That ministered to my heart, at such a time as this. Even with writing the devotional, God has been still speaking to me. Giving is something I like to do. When I see others without, I have to quickly go in prayer because I have to confirm how God would allow for me to give. In giving there is a transaction that occurs between the giver and God as well as the receiver and God.

*With the giver and God, the giver is letting go of something or even some feeling and turning it over to God.

*For the receiver the person is being granted a blessing or prayer that God heard in their hour of despair.

A pastor once told me, “giving is a gift.” I agree, for even in giving just as any other gift, the Lord blesses us with, we have to be molded to maturity to be productive to glorify the kingdom of heaven.
I thank God for His Word and the gift of giving and praise Him for molding us to be the vessels He designed us to be.

Anonymous said...

We must remember God looks at the heart not the hand, at the giver not the gift.
We to often forget who we are trying to please.

Jocelyn

Jamila said...

Well spoken,
Thank you for sharing, Jocelyn.

BEautiful and Living DIVINEly! said...

Hello Beloved:
Thank you for offering up such a powerful and inspiring message of hope and redemption. As I read it, my heart was still b/c I could see God's favor in your writing. Looking beyond our own circumstances and commiting our way to help others is what allows God to move on our behalf. Indeed, it is my more blessed and joyful to give than to receive. And I believe that when we are TRULY in the midst of change is when God desires and delights in our giving the most b/c then we are walking in a greater level of confidence in God, who alone requires our TOTAL TRUST.

Jamila said...

My Sister you hit it,
Walking in a greater level of Confidence in God. He is calling us all to trust Him and have confidence in Him. It's not about what we can do, how confident we are in our ability but being confident in Him that we can do all things and endure all He allows us to go through.
To God be the Glory!