Monday, March 22, 2010

Becoming One

I adore writing anything from poetry, essays, songs, plays, books you name it, I will write it. My husband is not so fond of writing. But he is a great singer, he is an awesome speaker and with his gift I can write songs for him to sing, I can help with speeches he presents. We become one with my gift and his gift forming the Harris team.

In the book of Genesis God told Adam, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh,” (Genesis 2:24).

To cleave in this text means to bond together. Adam did not have a father and mother to leave but he did have singlehood to leave. Adam had been single since the beginning and had no issues he was just happy go lucky in paradise. Adam had to let go of being single.

When you are single you can go out to eat when you want to, you can go as you please, all you have to consider is you. But when you get married the concept of being considerate, understanding, compassionate, and flexible to another person has to kick in. You can’t get up and go out of town without making sure it’s convenient with the family. It’s going to be some nights that you don’t have a steak, lobster tails and shrimp. It’s going to be some days you have to cook, clean, on top of other responsibilities. And you have to become one with the person to understand how to get this new thing to work. Using tactics from your parents to get your new family in order will bring about separation, not oneness. We have to let go of the old to form the new that God is forming.

In order to cleave, connect to your wife the spouse has to let go of his mentality as a single person, let go of the mentality of being a child being taken care of by their parents.

With me becoming one with my spouse requires me talking to my spouse, taking notice in his interest and incorporating his goals as well as my goals as one team. Becoming married, partners you with another to blossom that identity forming a new entity.

If my husband down played my gift of writing and never show me appreciation for what I do then it would be difficult for me to show appreciation for what he does. We would be divided, separated instead of united and dedicated.

How are you and your spouse today? Are you both showing interest in each other’s gifts? Have you incorporated them as a new entity? Perhaps you can’t see how their gift and your gift click, but God does. Maybe you are competing with your spouse instead of clinging with your spouse.

Consider leaning not to your own understanding and allow God to direct your path. God created husband and wife to be one, not separate. Call upon the Lord to help you be considerate, flexible, patient and undersanding towards your spouse. Ask God to help you to yield to His plan. Pray to God to continue to mold you and your spouse to be the one you declared to be the moment you said “I Do.” God will grant you a blessing as one flesh for when you married you became one.

No comments: