Friday, March 26, 2010

Processing the Leader

When I was a young girl my mother would tell me, "I am a leader." I would not know what she was talking about so I would continue playing as if she said nothing. When she met my husband she told me, “Both of you are leaders...hum this is going to be interesting,” as she sighed saying, “give it at least four years before you all get engaged.”

I still did not know what this woman was talking about. After all the love was poured in our relationship the initial years, we found that we did wait four years as she suggested. Afterwards we had a daughter. Today as I look at the development of my daughter, I say, “she is a leader,” and I laugh sounding just like my mom.

Being a leader is an anointing that God places on an individual. I believe each person has something they lead. The most crucial part is identifying when to apply your leadership abilities because every situation does not call for your leadership; sometimes it calls for your pursuit after another.

David was a young man when the prophet Samuel came to the house of Jesse seeking the one that God had anointed as king, next in line to King Saul. Samuel was instructed by God to anoint David. “Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers, and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that Day forward,” (1 Samuel 16:18).


In this text oil is used to anoint David as king. David did not become king until he was 30 years old. The time in between he went through a preparation process and much pressure was incurred to molding him to be the king God called him to be.

Oil has a preparation process as well. Before an olive becomes oil it goes through several phases. First, it has a Cleaning Phase, during this process all stems, leaves, twigs and other debris is removed to get rid of all the dirt and pesticides. Next, the Grinding Process takes place. The olives are crushed to paste tearing the flesh cells to facilitate the release of the oil. This procedure is a 20-45 minute process that requires much pressure. Stone mills, metal tooth grinders or hammer mills are used to crush the olives. Following the grinding, the Mixing Phase takes place. This is called malaxing the paste. The paste that is formed from the grinding procedure is mixed creating small droplets of oil that forms big drops of oil. Finally, they separate the oil and vegetable water and solids, to seclude the oil from the rest of the olive components.

As I look at my daughter, I am reminded of David. I know she too will have many phases to follow as God processes her.

Do you know a leader today that is going through? Perhaps you are the leader. What phase are you in pertaining to the leadership procedure?

Maybe you are being cleaned and have to let go of past relationships, let go of past thoughtless ways of thinking against the Lord. Possibly you are going through the grinding process and feel a tremendous amount of pressure as if a double hammer is pounding you. Probably you are going through the mixing phase and you are being allowed to facilitate bits and pieces of your leadership role. Or could it be that you are being separated from others, as you are being formed as a distinguished leader.

We all have a certain place that we lead in life. Consider going through the process of being molded to the person God is calling you to be. Pray to God to remind you of the strength that He has already endowed within you. Call upon the Father to bring you through as you stand in confidence in the Lord. Thank the Lord for His wisdom and might, for the Lord is upon you.

1 comment:

Jamila said...

Being a leader has its highs and lows. I thank God for His Word and reminding us that when he calls us to do something He also prepares us. God prepared David and He is preparing you and I to execute His will.
I pray for our leaders today, may God direct them to His divine purpose and they follow His steps through all the pressure, In Jesus Name, Amen.