Thursday, April 2, 2009

Orderly

Frustration can slow you down or stop you altogether. One day my family and I were cleaning the house. I was determined to get things in order. As I was cleaning my room their task was to clean the living room. Later, my two oldest began arguing with one another when I asked them to fold clothes and put them away.

I noticed when they were told to work together as a team, they argued. I then decided I would not raise my voice but call them in one by one to discipline them, so they may return to the business at hand.

I was reminded of the Apostle Paul addressing the church about having order in Corinth. The city had become completely out of order, as a result Paul called a meeting to get things to flow accordingly to God’s arrangement. He spoke to them saying “Let all things be done decently and in order” (1 Corinthians 14:40).

When considering this scripture I gave attention to the words decent and order. According to the Concordance, to be decent is to be honest, working in harmony. Order is a regular arrangement, setting in proper order.

In our life there is a system of patterns. These patterns help us to categorize the flow of our days. When there is structure life flows as a river and tranquility is vibrant. Yet, when things are piled from the ceiling inside your home; likewise, outside your home is disorderly, you have no sanctuary to rejuvenate yourself to face another day.

Imagine a person leaving to work, sitting in traffic. Upon arriving to work this person is bombarded with people not cooperating or not doing their task creating more work for the one individual to do, which is additional pressure. Then when the person enters their home, shoes are piled in front of the door. Picture clothes splattered on the floor; while, dinner is in the fridge, and people are running around having fun. Peace is so far from this person, he or she becomes stressed in their own home.

As I reflect upon the scenario with my children, I conclude it is in order for me to discipline my children, when they insist on arguing when required to work in love. If I allow them to fuss, then I am going against to decency and order. There is no harmony when arguing is occurring. As their mother I have to take charge in a gentle manner, so order is maintained.

Gentleness is strength under control. I was not happy with the bickering that was going on but I was able to control myself through the fruit of the Spirit of gentleness. I did not join them by raising my voice. I disciplined them and enforced the continuation of cleaning.

What do you do when you get frustrated? Do you slow down or become paralyzed never completing your task?

You have a choice to reflect your old nature or the fruit of the Spirit. Don’t allow sinful nature to take root and choke the Spirit that dwells in you to be devoured. Pray to God to show you how to be gentle when you are annoyed. Ask the Father to channel your attention to the Fruit of the Spirit, He has given you and not your nature. Request to have your fruit produced more and more to look more as His image.

No comments: