Monday, April 5, 2010

Are You Saving?

When I was 15 years old I had my first job. My aunt and I loved to go shopping but one time while we were out on our venture to shop she said to me, “Don't spend all you have to get all you want from one pay check." I did not question her, I decided that each pay check I would put up $10 for a rainy day.

As I developed into a young woman that same principle stuck in my head. While, I was in college I experienced my first time without employment. What a change for me but not a drastic change because I had savings.

Saving money is a crucial principal for managing money. “In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has,” Proverbs 21:20.

This text points out that an intelligent household has options but the thoughtless person has no choice because he/she has demolished all the he/she has. This person has irrationally gulped down or disposed everything and options are far from them.

If we are wise we will not spend all our money. Saving for the unknown emergencies as well as potential likely needs is the sensible choice.

My husband and I decided to save to by a van prior to having our fourth child. We have an older version van that is paid for and one day a lady was getting my child out of the van and she said, “I was thinking of the new vans with the doors on each side. Oh, I am so sorry.” I happily said to her, “I am not sorry at all, don’t worry this one is paid for,” and we laughed. I was seriously happy that we have a paid for car and we do not have to make monthly bills to pay it off.

Saving money is not harmful; it does not stop you from living but allows you to live with a sense of security. Not having funds saved for the emergencies allows you to live haunted by not knowing how to make it day by day. As previously mention when I was cut from the my job it did not hit me so hard because I had a savings account with enough for three months of my rent covered.

How are your finances today? Have you been making short term decisions with your finances? Buying the car of your dreams and thoughtlessly don’t consider the possibility of a rainy day. Are you able to get repairs taken care of in your home? Do you have insurance to tend to broken appliances or automobiles? Perhaps today you have income flowing like a river. Maybe you have had a halt in your finances and you feel like you are wandering in the wilderness.

Consider the caution that is established in Proverbs. Pray to God to forgive you for past financial mistakes and seek His wisdom about money. Ask God to discipline you to put aside a portion of your money as He may prosper, so no collections are made when He returns( 1 Corinthians 16:2). Seek the Lord to help you manage what He has given you so you can do what He has for you to do without financial restraints. Pray to God to help you trust Him to trust yourself to manage your money. Four things are small on the earth, but they are exceedingly wise: The ants are not a strong people, but they prepare their food in the summer;” Proverbs 30:24-25.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good word from the Lord. This subject never gets old as some of us need to be reminded, God bless you and your family.
DH