Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Our Genuineness Shows His Love

As I sat before the window last night, I was in pain as I prayed for the three children in Mississippi who are blessed to have survived the tornado. I thought of the heroic mother that risked her life to save her children's life who is now homeless.

Many are mourning today from the tragic event that took place on Saturday, including myself. I did not know them but that doesn't stop me from desiring to help them in some aspect.

I read a comment posted on a blog and it said “Will you be giving as generously to the victims of the Mississippi tornadoes as you did to those in Haiti?” some replies were as follows:
“I bet nothing fell out of your pockets”
“No, America is a wealthy country and therefore your own government should help its own.”
“There were tornadoes in Mississippi????”
“Good point...I'll bet that NO Americans will donate and certainly NO foreign countries will donate...by the way, neither will I--in this day and age NOBODY looks out for me therefore I ONLY look out for myself and my family.”

This struck me and reminded me of Paul speaking to the Macedonian church about giving to the poor among the saints in Jerusalem. He said to them “I am not saying this as a command but rather by means of diligence of others, I am testing the genuineness of your love,”2 Corinthians 8:8.

He continues in verse 12 saying “If the eagerness is there it is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: "He who gathered much did not have too much and he who gathered little did not have too little," 2 Corinthians 8:12-15.

Paul talked to the Macedonians about helping others in their time of need. He talks about having an eagerness to give, getting our attitudes to match our actions. Paul points out that we do not have to have a lot of money to be acceptable givers. Our eagerness is all that is needed; to give from what we do have.

As you reflect on the Scripture above, consider doing a regular “attitude check” in regard to your giving and your service. Do you feel the same as the bloggers quoted above? Or, have you felt God tugging at your heart but you are not quite sure of what to do?

In John 13:35, Jesus said:
“By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another. “

Let us show the love of Christ by committing to give back to God the resources He has blessed us with. Paul said you don’t have to give a lot, just match your eagerness with what you give and our heavenly Father will do the multiplying. I know that all we give will be used in bigger ways, according to the Lord, than it could be if we only use it on our own.

No comments: