Thursday, September 11, 2008

Let Not My Will

When I was in college I pursued being a journalist because I was praised for my writings. It was the only thing I knew I could do with my writing ability. Throughout my college years I was an active reporter for broadcast and print media. Upon the closing of my senior year my path of journalism closed. I was completely brokenhearted.

I moved to Georgia with hopes of getting a job as a reporter but nothing ever came of it. Day by day I felt less of a person. The one thing I thought I was able to do was no longer achievable for me to obtain. As years passed by I slowly stop writing. I held this over my head and allowed the enemy access to kill me strand by strand of my hearts desire to write.

This brings to memory the story of Absalom, King David’s son. He was praised for his handsome appearance. “From the sole of his foot to the crown of his head there was no blemish in him,” (2 Sam 14:25).

I imagine Absalom thought highly of himself. Absalom had a plan to be king. I can see him saying to himself, “I am so handsome, I should be king.” He set out to be king. “And a messenger came to David, saying, "The hearts of the men of Israel have gone after Absalom,” (2 Sam 15:13).

I had my eyes set on being a journalist, but God had another plan. Like Absalom my plan was void, for it was not the will of God. We both sought after an elevated position.

For several years, I gave the enemy authority to ruin my confidence in writing. I allowed him in to steal almost all the passion I had for writing, based on things not going according to my will. I was distracted by my broken heart that I could not see God's presence.

Are you seeking a certain position in life? Have you made plans to be the spotlight instead of the shining light for Christ? Maybe you have had a taste of your destiny. Perhaps you have given authority to the enemy to destroy every aspect of your purpose as Absalom.

Allow God to show you His purpose for your gift. Consider God to be more important than the gift He has given you and let Him guide you. Ask God to help you not seek others for validation of the destiny He has for you. Pray to God that you live to glorify Him. Pray that you learn to live for God and not for Him endorsing what you have been living for. God created us (Gen 1:26-27) for Himself; we were created for His will to be done, not our will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen a good reminder not my will but GODS will i really battle with this because its hard to let go of a dream and submit to the will of the FATHER and he sometimes does not even give you a clue as to what hes preparing you for. Heb. 11;1 faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Jamila said...

Dear Reader,
God's will is not going to be the easy way. It is because our flesh is battling with our spirit that we have such a hard time. If we focus on the things seen and not focus on the things not seen, then why should He reveal the purpose He has for us? Don't let the enemy steal you of your purpose by having you distracted by the things seen. For as you reminded me -
Heb. 11; 1 faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.