Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Delight Yourself

A grandmother wanted her children to come by and just sit with her once a day. She wanted the company of her children but none of them would slow down to come and talk to her. They would bring her food and gifts and drive off.

Her granddaughter would cry every weekend and make a big fuss because she wanted to go see her grandmother. So she would convince her parents every weekend to go over her grandmother’s house.

While she was there, they would just talk as she brushed her long, wavy, gray, and silky hair. The grandmother would give her a dollar each time she came and cleaned her living room. Her mother would always tell her to give it back to her grandmother but the grandmother would always manage to put it back in her bag.

When the grandmother died all the children gathered to hear the details of the will. She left money to the church, gave different possessions to the children, but she left aside something far more great to her granddaughter.

The will stated “for countless hours of weekend, after weekend spending time with me, I leave you my house and 1 million dollars.

This story reminds me of the psalmist David saying, "Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart," Psalm 37:4.

When we delight in intimate time with the Father it’s no telling what miraculous miracle He has a waiting for us. But you have to spend time with Him. Blessing the food at the dinner table is not enough. Showing up on Sunday is not enough; our life style has to be built around a life time of dates with the Father.

When we delight in Him we are happy, as if we have a crush on the Lord. Our delighting in God should be as a crush that we can’t get enough of; as a result, we spend time with Him and trust Him. He tells us to commit our way to Him, trust in Him, and He will act (Psalm 37:5). When we dedicate our self to Him, we display our trust to Him. As a result He does supply all needs (Philippians 4:19).

Are you willing to trust the Lord? Will you spend time with Him, daily? Maybe you’re tired of living in hell and drained of running out in the world. Perhaps, you’re exhausted of listening to everyone else, wondering “when will I be free from this curse,” I encourage you to commit your ways to the Lord.

Consider delighting in the Lord. Possibly, you have been having a part time affair with the Lord hanging out with Him on Sunday and Monday and doing your own thing Tuesday through Saturday. Paul tells us, we have a choice through believing and accepting the promises of God we should choose the right path (2 Corinthians 7:1). Accept Christ in your heart and trust Him today. Choose the will of the Lord, so He may add to your heart desires.

8 comments:

HeddieJ said...

This is so true. I was just driving today and stating to God that I was tired of a certain situation in my life. The very same scripture came up in my spirit about delighting myself in the Lord. It is so encourging to be able to read what my Father and I was just discussing in your blog. Keep writing and allowing yourself to confirm the Word of God in and through others. Be blessed.

Jamila said...

It is so funny to read your reply. I thought I was going to post something else today and this ws the one He lead me to post. Thank you for you response for it just reminds me to do what He says, when He says.
Blessings

Heddie J. said...

Always be obedient to what God is saying. Always. This is how we, as human beings, learn to trust Him more and more. This also increases out Faith in Him. I love it..

BEautiful and Living DIVINEly! said...

Hello Beloved:

Thank you for allowing God to confirm Spirit's revelation to me that was also given to me as these same scriptures(Psalm 37:4) just this morning! This is also my time to draw closer in my "love walk" as I have been encouraging others to do, particularly so now that I have created a new life in a new city. I also believe that God not only gives us our "needs," but that God opens doors through us to access our wants(especially if they are "God-appointed and inspired.")

lovingly,

Sophia

Jamila said...

Sophia,
I have come to know the more time we spend with God our desires align with His will. As a result, we desire exactly what He has destined. It is important for us to spend time with God. I have a friend and their love language is quality time and when you spend time with this individual they want to give to you. It is a natural reflex for them to desire to give when someone else gives their time to them. I view God like that. I beleive that when we dedicate time with Him,get to know Him and trust Him His natural reflex is to give to us as His children. I am happy to hear that God continues to open the windows of heaven for you as you are in another city.
Many Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Spending time with God is so vital for the believer. Sometimes we want what's in God's hand but we don't want to spend any time with him. We desire the creation more than the creator. What we don't realize is that everything we need is in Jesus. I was truly blessed by this message today. I love my husband and my family, but I love Jesus more than anything!

Jamila said...

Thank you for that point sometimes we do desire the creation and not the Creator when in actuality the Creator gives us the creation to enjoy. Excellent point. I am blessed by these comments and honored to know the writing has inspired someone else.
Blessings!

Lisa said...

Thankyou for another reminder that I don't ever have to be a "people pleaser." If I delight myself in the Lord, I'm focused on pleasing the Lord. Everything will fall into place. Thank you for your gentle words.

May God's peace always be with you!