Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Great, No Matter Your Age

My three year old son is always eager to help me fold the towels and set the table. His two older siblings on the other hand, have to be reminded to help with such chores. As I look at my children, I am reminded of growing up in a large family. The loud chants of, “ Don’t forget about me, I want some too, I want to be first, why am I always last,” was an ongoing record. Now as a parent of four children that same chant replays over and over in my head.

I find myself, disregarding their age and commending the one that follows my directions. Interestingly, it’s more often my three year old.

Such practices in my home remind of the psalmist “He will bless them that fear the Lord, small and great. The Lord shall increase you more and more, you and your children,” Psalm 115:13-14.


These scriptures are saying that the Lord will praise those that shows reverence to Him no matter their age. God will bless us not according to how significant or in significant we are but how honorable we are to Him. The verse together reminds us that no matter what our credentials He will add to us according to our respect to Him. But not only to the one obeying but the children and grand children. Everyone will be blessed because of reverence.

Abraham was one who showed much honor to God and He blessed him and his descendants. How do you respond to the directions of God? When others of authority gives instructions, do you follow through? Or do you hesitate, anticipating the one who is older, the one with more experience, or the other person to do what you have been asked to do?

Reverencing can be challenging but not as detrimental as coping with the consequences. Consider not your status when you are instructed. Ask God to help you be one that honors and not dishonor. Pray to God to help you follow through.

No comments: