Thursday, October 8, 2009

I Should Have Died, But God

An older woman fell down and broke her neck, lying in one position for twelve hours. A few weeks ago, I was told a 23 year old mother of two children had a stroke. Almost a month ago a friend of mine was having a stroke and did not know. Two months ago my cousin and his co-workers were on their way to work as their truck flipped over, everyone died, except for him.

As I reflect on how God has a purpose for all of our lives, my mind is captured by the Psalm of David. “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord uphold him with His hand,” Psalm 37:23-24.

Consider a parent directing their child and as the child follows directions the parent is happy. David was saying that God directs the righteous step by step, as a parent guides their child throughout the course of their life. When we fall down, either in sin or into trouble, God will not allow us to be reduced to rubble by our falls. We will not be ruined. Instead, I believe God releases angels to shield us as He defends and supports us with His hand because His plan will not be made void.

Interestingly, all four of the people mentioned previously are still alive. I can see God in my sanctified imagination holding the face of the woman who fell, sustaining the two who had a stroke, defending my cousin from death. I can see God getting their undivided attention to move to the next step so that His plan could move forward. Have you ever had a near death experience? Is it obvious why you did not die?

What plan has God directed for you? Do you feel like there is no point of preparing because you’re not making the money or you don’t have the support? Have you fallen or you can’t see through the forest? God has His hand there upholding you; He has not and will not let you go.

Consider not letting go of God but pressing forward, following His steps. Ask God to help you see His purpose. Pray that you yield to His plan. Thank Him for not letting you die when you could have, should have died. Thank Him that you can say “But God has a plan.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a lot out of this.
SP

Anonymous said...

The thoughts from an ANGEL!

Have a blesssed day.

Bend But Don't Break said...

You were speaking too me in this passage. I too had a double life changing experience back to back this year. In the first experience there was an Angel watching over me because I saw her. After coming out of this situation my faith grew stronger, I was greatful and I knew God saved me for a reason. I AM A LIVING TESTIMONY, I COULD HAVE BEEN DEAD AND GONE BUT LORD YOU LET ME LIVE ON ^8^

Adrien Hawk

Jamila said...

Adrien,
I know you know, you have a purpose and I thank God that the message spoke to you. Remember don't let life pass you by. Live in reverence to our heavenly Father and ask Him daily, "What is your purpose for me today?" Do your best at what He tells you, for your best is acceptable and righteous to Him. I thank God for you and pray you live out your purpose, for it is done.