Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Need to be Filled

As a young child my parents, divorced. Consequently, I spent over twenty years with my emotional tank half way full. I had a hard time accepting change, making friends, asking for what I needed and controlling my emotions.

By the time I was 27 I thought I was going crazy. Any sudden rush of change would send me into a rage. I was so heartbroken that a wall surrounded me, blocking others’ to attempt to get to know me. My emotions were on fire and only God could put out the flames.

For many years I sought a path that would lead me to a place where I could be loved, but the brokenness I felt made it difficult for me to identify, accept or give love. Over time, though, I came to know the greatest Love, I now know where to go when I get low. When it seems impossible to turn the other cheek – so that I may remain meek – I go to the Father.

I am reminded of the passage in the book of Isaiah where the prophet wrote what God said to Israel: "Since you were precious in My sight, you have been honored, and I have loved you; Therefore I will give men for you, and people for your life,” (Isaiah 43:4).

Isaiah was saying, God created you, he was reminding Israel of the love that God has for them. Christians are God’s people. For all those who have confessed Christ as their Savior, God has a love for you that only He can fulfill. Just as God has affection for those of Israel, He has that same affection for all His people.

Later in chapter 63 Isaiah wrote “in His love and His pity He redeemed them,” Christ is still loving and redeeming us today. No matter what your affliction is, He loves you.

Can others see the love of Christ in you? Do you know the love of Christ? Have you ever been so broken that you seek for love, try to give love only to find that you yourself are just half way full? Love is like a foreign language, if you have never learned it, it is complicated to speak. If you only know a little you can only give a little.

Consider filling up today. Come to know the love of Christ so you may give the love of Christ to others. Allow Christ in your heart. Give over the brokenness you hold inside and allow Him to just love on you, for you are precious in His sight.

3 comments:

heddiej said...

Today I had been crying for I really miss my mother. She gave me love like no other. She died around this time of the year, she was so dear. Even though I miss her love, I am so reminded of the Love that God gives from above. Your blog is saying so much more, but somehow I am focused on the love of God being so much more than those who do love you in what they can give. God will never leave you for forsake you in all that one could ever do. The love of God goes beyond any grave. Thank you God for such an everlasting love that brings one out of any grunt.

Jamila said...

The love of Christ is so strong. No matter what we do He loves us. No matter what we have or don't have He loves us. There is no greater love.

Anonymous said...

I also have been spending years with my emotional tank half full. My environment as a child was filled with severe abuse, lots of negativity, and absolutely no encouragement. I also put up a wall and I did not allow people to get to know the real me. If anyone tried to get too close I would become overwhelmed and run for my life. My rationale was that I had to protect my heart for fear of it being abused because I was so vulnerable and I could not endure more pain. I knew I needed to be loved, but I had a hard time accepting that anyone could love me because in my environment this endearing word was not spoken or shown. All I knew was abuse(mental, verbal, and physical).

After years of searching for wholeness, I began to realize I needed to be filled with God's love for me. Eventually, I collaborated certain scriptures of the Lord's promises to me. I needed him to give me real love
and assurance of his protection because I needed to feel safe in his arms.

Jeremiah 33:3
Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Micah 7:7
Therefore I will look unto the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.

Jamilia your devotions have blessed me tremendously, but this one in particular hit a home run for me.It confirmed to me that I needed to be filled with God's love.

Keep running the race, for God has more in store for you.

Blessings always,
Latangela Borders