Thursday, August 14, 2008

Be At Peace with Family

A man that was in the marine as a young man in the war spoke to his family. He recalled being in the Persian Gulf and all he wanted was to see his family. By the grace of God he made it back home with mental scars but nothing on the outside. When he finally made it back home his family bickered over nonsense. He had a second brother and close friend to die. He wondered what was, I missing back in the gulf,” to return to such family.

This reminded me of Jacob. Jacob and his brother Esau got on bad terms. Esau hated his brother because of the blessing (Gen 28:41). Esau wanted to kill his brother for getting the blessing from their father. More than over 7 years passed and Jacob and Esau had not spoken.
In time they were to meet back with each other and Jacob was, “greatly afraid” (Gen 32:7). When they reunited Esau ran to meet him and embraced him and they wept (Gen 33:4).

When Jacob left his family he anxiously left just as the Youngman in the army began to miss his family. I imagine Jacob start missing Esau but was ashamed and scared families, not to continue bickering among each other but to embrace in each other.

Maybe you have a relative that you a wait to get away from. Perhaps you have been missing a sibling that you separated from. Family is gifts. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity,” (Prov 17:17).

If you are reluctant to see your family ask God to uproot the hate in your heart and give you are desire to be at peace with your family. Be patient as God restores.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Family is a gift. It's sad when we bicker or just not communicate with each other. None of us are perfect yet it's easy to find fault in another. How wonderful it would be to be able to accept each other, faults and all and love in spite of, just like our Savior loves us in spite of us.

I have a sister and the communication is not there and to be honest I don't know why. It's been that way for years. We haven't argued or fallen out, we just have little to nothing to talk about. I have on several occasions written to her to reach out. I never got a response. Even if we talk on the phone, I don't get much more than a hi and very dry reply to anything I say.

There was a time when people appreciated gifts and accepted them even if it didn't fit them (life, style, size, etc.), now a days people will turn down or trade in that gift in a heartbeat. Family is no different. If you can't fit into my world on my level then I'll just have to get me a surrogate family.

Let us intentially live in peace with our family. (Rom 12:18) If it be possible,as much as lieth in you,live peaceably with all men. We can do more together on one accord than separate and apart.


Keep hitting us where we need to be hit Sis. Harris. This is dealing with several areas in my life right now.

much love
hil

Jamila said...

Dear Hil,
I appreciate your statements. You made an interesting point about gifts. When I was growing up my grandmother would always tell me you accept what someone gives you, and be polite about it. So if I got something I did not want or like I would not dare tell the person I would smile and say thank you. I wonder how many people continue that trend. It appears not many because many desire to trade in their family. Family are special gifts designed to with stand adversity.
Thank you for your comments.