Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Move the Rocks

My friend called on me the other day because she needed help. After seeing her I remembered coming to Georgia thinking how I left my career of writing when I moved from Oklahoma City. I spent four years of my life training to be a journalist and every avenue closed which pertained to me pursuing being a reporter. It was one of the most crushing feelings I encountered.

During the past seven years my confidence was low. I could not see beyond the brick wall in my life. As I looked in the mirror I wanted to give up all hope. Looking at myself made me weep; as my children grew I viewed myself as a terrible mother because I felt I had nothing to offer them. But God made a way. By the time my third child germinated within me, I began wanting more out of life. As my forth child came in the world, I then gave it all over to the Lord.

Thinking of this time in my life captures my memory to the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.

Mary and Martha were in a hopeless situation. They sent word to Jesus that their brother was sick. Jesus assured them that the sickness will not end in death. Yet, things did no only get bad, they got worse. Lazarus was put in a tomb because he died with Jesus was only 2 miles away.

On Jesus arrival, Lazarus had been in the tomb for four days. “When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home” (John11:20).

Martha told Jesus, if you would have been here my brother would not have died, my brother would not be in a tomb, and we would not be here in this situation, Jesus, if you would have been here.

“Jesus once more was deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. "Take away the stone" he said” (John 11:38-39). Martha told Jesus he has been in that tomb dead for four days and by this time the odor is strong.
Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"(John 11:40) They took away the stone and Jesus then prayed to God. Jesus called Lazarus and he was raised from the dead.

It was not until Martha showed her faith by moving the stone that Jesus had a talk with God.

My stone was letting go of writing for the world’s paper and come write for the Lord. I knew how to write for broadcast, I invested much money in learning to write for newspapers but God was calling me to write for Him. His training was free of charge but enduring time wise. I had a stone that I couldn’t see beyond and I sat there for seven years, depressed, with low confidence, dragging myself in a pit. One day just as Martha I showed my faith.

Many are trapped not able to move beyond the hard place in their life. Various people are in a dead marriage while Jesus is saying ‘move the rocks’. Several are lost without employment while Jesus is saying ‘move the rocks’. Some people stressed while Jesus is saying ‘move the rocks’. A number of individuals are supposed to be an advocate for the Lord yet is afraid while Jesus is saying ‘move the rocks’.

What hard place is before you today, interfering with your communication to God?
Are you as Mary staying back at the house because you have lost all hope? Or do you tell Jesus what He should have, could have done to prevent your situation?

Don’t miss out on your miracle because of your lack of faith? Ask the Lord to resurrect you. Pray to God that He gives you the strength to move the stone. Call upon the Lord in belief for “if you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer" (Matthew 21:22).

No comments: