Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Running on Low Fuel

The other day I was on my way to church and I noticed the car needed some gas. I determined that I could make it to the church but right after service, I would have to get some gas. As I approached the parking lot the light came on notifying me that I needed fuel.

I got out of the car went inside for church service. Once church was over I went directly to the gas station, which was less than a mile. After I got gas I was fine. I wasn’t concern about if I had enough fuel to make it to the destinations I planned on going.

When I left church I was refueled with the word. As the week went along I was able to do what I needed even though there were bumpy hills along the way.

My situation takes my thoughts to the scripture “you are the light of the world. A city situated on a hill cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket, but rather on a lamp stand, and it gives light for all who are in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven(Matthew 13:14-15).

As the light of the world I can’t sit in my house when I am called to do something. I have to let others see me moving for the Lord. When my family needs me I have to let my light shine. When my neighbor calls me I have to let my light shine. When I need me I have to let my light shine and get the fuel I need so I can keep shinning.

Have you ever driven a car to a destination on low fuel? The whole time you are in the car you are hoping that you make it to where you’re traveling? You might even pray to God to get you where you need to go even though the act of you not having gas in the car is because you have not put it in the car.

Cars need fuel to travel. My soul has to be fed the word in order for me to not only get to the destinations I have to go but to inspire and encourage others as I travel life.

When you travel in a car every road is not a straight path some are bumpy, some curve, some wiggly, there are many with inclines, and go downhill just as my journey of life. It is vital for the car to have fuel to go and it is essential for me to be fed the word to journey this life. I am no good to another if I have not been properly fed by God’s word. I can’t encourage myself or any other that comes in my path.

Has your light came on notifying you that you need more fuel? Are you running on auto pilot? Perhaps your fuel is less than a mile a way and you have not made a point to refuel yourself of His word. Maybe you struggle with getting fed His word and don’t push yourself to put the proper word within your soul.

Don’t run on low fuel. Consider opening your bible and meditating on one scripture until you get to the place of worship. Pray to God that you praise your way through your journey. Call upon the Lord to restock you with hope, encouragement and inspiration to yourself and others. For "you are the salt of the earth. But if the salt should lose its taste, how can it be made salty? It's no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled on by men” (Matthew 13:16).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I got fed with the word this past Sunday. When I don't get fed, I am lost; I feel a sense of being disconnected. MAK