Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Possible

When I was a little girl my grandmother would tell me stories about people pulling her hair when she was in school. She would tell me so many cruel stories about being in school I wondered, "how could she bare such pain."

My grandmother was born in 1905 from a little town called Kauffman, TX and our family is bi-racial. During those times it was forbidden for a black and white person to even have a friendship together. Imagine how catastrophic things were for a bi-racial family to survive in such times.

It was close to impossible for them to live day by day not only because the color of their skin but because they were diverse. However, all that is impossible for man is possible for God.

I am reminded today of the story of Lazarus. Mary’s brother was sick and sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick,” (John11:3). Jesus assured them that their brother would not die. “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus, (John11:4-5).

Jesus was not in a rush to get to Lazarus and stayed where he was for two more days. Then Jesus was told Lazarus is dead. Lazarus sisters were in pain. They had hope because of Jesus saying it is going to be alright yet the reality was Lazarus was dead.

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies. (John11:23-25).

During my grandmothers’ time, like Lazarus Jesus was calling on people to just cast their cares to Him and believe. It was impossible to raise a person from the dead. In fact, it was a hopeless situation when all you could see was death and the hope you had was stripped right before your sight.

Yet, our Lord is a way maker. He sees the impossible and says not bigger than me. He sees your pain while you are crying and He weeps with you. When Jesus saw Lazarus lying dead, “Jesus wept,” (John11:35).

Maybe you are in an impossible situation today. Perhaps you are crying wondering if God cares. He loves you; yes He cares for you even in the midst of your mess. In the hour of despair He cares.

Consider not asking God, “Why me but say use me.” Pray to God that you believe Jesus is the resurrection. Ask God to do the impossible. For even today He is raising the dead. For we have a nation were most say, “Yes we can, join hands as black and whites. Yes we can, join hands as Hispanics and Asians. Yes we can, embrace the dissimilar aspects of others and join in unity, as one.” We can do all things through Christ whom strengthens us, (Phil 4:13).

No comments: