Friday, November 28, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter


This week my daughter has been excited because she had time off from school and an opportunity for her and me to work on her writing a book. She asked countless times “When will we work on my book mommy?” However each day I was not feeling my best.

By Friday my daughter woke up gathered all her material and start working on it herself. She did not even eat breakfast; she was in her creative mode. She managed to pull me out of bed and we began to work on her story. My husband saw us working and he said, “Well you have inspired her to write.”

My mind connected to “Like mother, like daughter” (Ezekiel 16:44). I thought of Paul speaking to Timothy about his gift. He reminded him of his grandparent’s faith, then his mother’s faith and stated that he knew it was in him (2 Timothy 1:5).


“Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:6-7).


My mother and father are writers; my father is also a great artist. My daughter reminds me of me being a child running to my mother about each story I wrote. I always wanted my dad to see my drawings so I waited eagerly to show them to him. He still holds a picture I created as a child and my mom still remembers the name of the first book I wrote.

All the things my parents hold as great memories of my childhood help inspire me to be the writer I am. The fact that my parents are great writers convinced me that I am a great writer also. As I look at my child I am persuaded that the gift of writing dwells in her.

It is important that we share our gifts with our children so they will know it is in them also. The things the parents know should be made known to the children (Deuteronomy 4:9, 10).

Are you reminding your children of their heritage? Do you encourage them to pursue their spiritual gift so that they may lead by those gifts? Consider encouraging them to do what they aspire to do because God didn’t give them fear, but tools to complete the task.

If you feel you lack knowledge pray to God to give you instructions as of how to lead your children. Ask God for wisdom and guidance in your life. Call upon the Lord to reveal His will to help you hear His voice in all things. For God will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; He will guide you (Psalms 32:8).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your devotional my friend, keep up the good work and may GOD receive all the glory, all the honor, and all the praise... through His Son Jesus Christ, Amen! Love U, Angie

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him,and He will make your paths straight.Proverbs 3:5-6

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful in spirit and heart. Girl, you have identified your gift and God is smiling down on YOU!!! Keep doing what you do!!