Monday, January 26, 2009

Changing

One of my older sisters protected me as a child. Each time I had a problem I went to her. The time came for her to go to middle school and I was very disturbed about this. I did not understand why she had to go to another school. We had been going to school together and doing all things together since I could remember. Now she was to go to another school. No one asked me what I thought or how I felt. I was only told she is leaving and her schedule was changing. I was furious yet lacked from expressing my feelings because it seemed as if it only was affecting me.

This became the break down of our relationship. For years we walked around at odds with each other and treating one another as if we could not stand the mere presence of each other. We both graduated from high school. She went away again to college and I still had yet to tell her my true feelings. Eventually, I went to college. She was starting a family with a guy I felt was not fitting for her. I reframed from saying much for I knew her feelings towards him were deep.

Later, I became married and my family began. Years passed with our differences and one day after reading something she told me “we have to make a point to speak with each other, at least once a week, no matter what”. It was then, I knew my sister was changing.

Our relationship went from talking to each other once a month, to once a week. During this time she was removing layers expressing her self to me. She told me of the pain she experienced yet did not dare to complain because what good would it do.

More years went on as my sister revealed her self to me, I in return revealed how I went through a state of depression. I finally, told her how I felt when she went to middle school. We expressed our deepest secrets only to find a hidden treasure. We have always had a spirit that has not been able to be torn. I have always been able to sense when something is critical going on with her yet she never would say. She would always sense when I longed to hear my sisters’ voice even when we were distant.

When we were children we would write together but nothing ever came of it, for to us we were only playing. Yet as I ponder, I think what we considered playing was actually a time of practicing for what we would one day actually do. This sister that I spent over 7 years of my life thinking was my enemy has been a gift to me. We both took in what others would say about us and it divided us more and more. When the day came and she said she wanted us to talk more, I saw the Father making the crooked places straight (Isaiah 45:2).

That night I thought of the inheritance we have as siblings. I considered “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous”(Proverbs 13:22).

He is revealing the treasure of darkness we have within each other. It is a treasure of wealth of secret places that only can be revealed from the Father, so we may know who is the Father (Isaiah 45:3).

Do you have a sibling that you are at odds with? Have you tried reaching out to your sibling? Have they tried to reach to you and you turn away? Perhaps you have given up because you don’t wish to waste your life trying to fight the grain. Maybe you don’t view your sibling as a gift, so you would rather toss the relationship away.

Consider giving your relationship over to the Lord, so He can restore the relationship. Pray the desire to desire to have a relationship with your sibling. Call upon the Lord to reveal the hidden treasure of darkness that binds you together, so you may magnify the Lord together.

No comments: