Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Aspire More of God

The other day my son was so excited, he said in a bubbly manner, “I am going to go to the same college Daddy went to and work at the same place Daddy works when I get older.” I responded cheerfully saying,” You really love your Dad.”

His actions made me think of when I used to hear this older woman pray in church. As she prayed I would get chill bumps. I recalled telling her, “I want to grow up and pray just like you.” She would jubilantly say “bless you my child.” Each time she prayed I had a warm feeling inside. Some people look at others and aspire to be like them in an unhealthy manner but there are some cases a person can wish to be as another in a healthy manner.

When Paul desired to visit Rome, he wanted to see the people because of their great faith. Paul wanted to be encouraged and he knew if he could just be in their presence he would be strengthened. “For I am longing to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong,” (Rom 1:11).

Paul desired more of God. Paul desired for the people to impart some spiritual gift to him. He wanted them to share with liberality their gift to help strengthen him in the Lord.

Maybe you have heard a person pray and said, “I wish I could pray just like that person.” Perhaps you have heard someone preach and said, “I wish I could preach just like that person.” If you have, your appetite is increasing for more of God. God brings himself to us through the lives and talents of others.

I imagine that my husband is being used to mold my sons' view about being a man of God. He sees his father on Sundays worshiping the Lord. My son sees him providing for his family, he has seen his father’s degrees from college. I envision when he looks at his father he sees his strengths and says, “What a strong man, I too want to be like him.” As my son is growing impartation is taking place.

Who are you striving to be like? Are you looking to be as Jesus? When you hear someone speak in a negative manner do you wish to speak as them? As you look at TV do you aspire to be as those that decrease or uplift the name of the Father?

Perhaps God is using someone in your life today to grow you. As God brings people in your life it is not to belittle you and make you feel less of a Christian; yet, it is to increase your desire of God. The Lord desires to strengthen you. He will send one who is stronger to help build you stronger in the Lord. As this takes place the Lord’s life is being increased.

Allow God to be multiplied, as you look at others ask God what strength I can impart from them. Instead of considering envy, reflect on growing closer to the Lord. Pray to God that you are humbled so you may see the true essence of your growth in the Lord. Ask God to help you display strengths so you may help build the glory of the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen sister i wrote my brother telling him in so many words decrease carlos and increase jesus i dont think he took it to well and sometimes i believe we all have a problem with that i was just trying to encourage him but it was taken the wrong way we need serious prayer as a people because we are deteriorating every second we allow satan to divide us. thank you for the devotion its all about the LORD and not us