Thursday, October 16, 2008

Don't Settle

When I was growing up, I witnessed a relative of mine experience loosing their job. When they lost their job it appeared as if they lost all hope. This person settled for their life as a roller coaster. It was as if they said, “Well things have gotten bad and they will never get any better. So I am just going to sit here and wait until I die.” Till this day this person is just waiting to die. They have secluded them self from all that is inspiring and just sit in pity, day after day.

As my life progressed and I got older, I too encountered a bad situation. I lost my job; felt rejected and believed I had no reason to try to pursue writing any more. I had a pity party for too many years.

Then one day, I start feeling like I was loosing my mind. I was angry, I longed to be happy but I was still residing in pity land. From my past experience, I realized I had two choices, I could sit at home and be as my relative that is just waiting to die or I can get up and try. I had nothing to loose.

The world is compiled with many people who settle. A person who has lost their house in a storm has settled and decided to not work any more because they lost their home. A person whose business plan went sour decided to not put a new plan in place has settled and as a result is unhappy. A person who didn’t marry their high school sweetheart has settled and unhappy unmarried. Many people are allowing drastic situations to cause them to settle.

There were four men who had leprosy and said, "Why stay here until we die? If we say, 'We'll go into the city'-the famine is there, and we will die. And if we stay here, we will die. So let's go over to the camp of the Arameans and surrender. If they spare us, we live; if they kill us, then we die," (2 Kings 7:3-4).

These men concluded that they should take a risk because no matter what they did they faced the possibility of dying. They suggested since we are going to die, let’s go out trying.

Have you had a something drastic happen to you? Do you feel no matter what you do you are cursed? Are you settling or are you moving forward? It is when you move forward God will lead you.

Everyday people are challenged by how they can move forward with the attack of being pulled back. Perhaps you are refusing to move because you have become settled. Maybe it appears as if things will never get better so you are just waiting for the hour to clock out. Consider not laying around in a vegetate mode, throw down your crutches, change gears and shift.

Don’t settle as the rest, allow God to ignite you. Pray to God that you move so He may guide you. Ask the Lord to give you clear understanding that it is okay to move forward. For, “the one who finds his life will lose it and the one who loses his life because of me will find it," (Mat 10:39).

No comments: