Monday, October 6, 2008

Keep Your Promise

While I was pregnant I met with a person to help make arrangements to help tend to some of the things I would not be able to tend to after my surgery. After I came home from the hospital, I contacted the person so we could agree on a day for the help to start. This person said, “Okay.”

A couple of days later, I got a disturbing phone call that were false allegations. As a result, all those that were supposed to help never were able to because a lie was told.

I was very hurt. I knew it was an attack, I prayed to God because I knew I was in no condition to tend to those obligations that my help would have tended to. I also prayed to God to help me stay focus on Him. I knew I could loose it all based on one person that lied.

This situation reminds me of the story of Ananias and Sapphira. The people of Jerusalem were facing a hard time. The people prayed and all those that had wealth committed to help those that were in need.

“And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need,”(Acts 4:33-37).

“But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and with his wife’s knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God," (Acts 5:1-5).

Like the people of Jerusalem, I was in need of help not only physically but spiritually. I was in pain trying to do what this person committed to do.

Today, many people lie with the intent to glorify themselves. Ananias and Sapphira’s problem was they promised to give some money to help meet the needs of those that needed help. It was a bad time for them. As a result, the people needs were not met and they suffered. Ananias and Sapphira dropped dead for such lie.

God does not deal lightly to those that lie and cause others to suffer. It is not for us to “bear false witness against our neighbor,” (Ex 20:16). When God blesses one He intends for that person to share their blessing with another.

Have you ever had someone lie to you? Have you ever suffered because someone lied to you? How do you respond when someone lies to you? Do you consider taking what they promised or do you pray to the Lord? Do you consider revenge or do you pray to God?No matter what situation you encounter you must keep our eyes on the Lord.

Allow God to be your center focus. Pray to God to provide for those things that you may lack. Call upon the Lord to help you keep your mind right, so you might not loose it all. Ask God to help you have a forgiving heart to those whose actions have caused you to suffer. For as what one meant as evil against you, God meant it for good, “to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today” (Gen 50:20).

No comments: