Friday, October 10, 2008

Leave to Cleave

A son was talking to his father and he says, “Dad when I get older I’m going to be just like you.” The father says, “Son, I want you to grow and be your own man.” The son replies, “Well dad, can I work where you work and live with you?” The father responds, “Son, you have to be able to provide for your family some day. I want you to have more for your self than me and be more than I am. Plus, I am training you up so will depart.” The son says with a glooming stare upon his face, “Dad, I don’t want to leave?” “You don’t have to leave, but depart from my house you must,” says the dad with a smile.

My father used to tell me very often as a child I am training you so you can grow up and leave my house. I never knew until I got older that he got that statement from the bible. "That is why a man will leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, and the two will become one flesh,” (Eph 5:31).

When a child leaves home they are still under the influence of the ways of their parents. I recall early in my marriage, I brought up what my dad would do as if I was married to my dad. I had to go through growing pains to grow to become one with my husband. I had to leave my parents way of doing things and cleave into this new way of doing things in my new life.

Today some people have left the house physically but their state of mind is still clinging to the way of their parents. Many don’t understand, “Why can’t I get married or why does this marriage not work?”

Perhaps it is because they are not willing to leave their parents’ way and grow into a new way with their mate.

It’s okay to desire to be like your parents from some aspect but you are still required to leave. When you leave it is not wise to dwell physically at another location but reside mentally in your parents’ house. If not your mate will not married to you yet your parents.

Do you sometimes wonder, "Why can’t my spouse be like my Dad?" Are you hoping your mate will do things as your mother? Maybe you are seeking too much of your parents and not the one you are with.

Consider letting go of what you no longer need. Allow yourself to be molded by our heavenly Father. Ask God to help you accept your mate as they are. Pray that you love them for who they are and not who you want them to be. For once you finally leave behind your parents ways then you can cleave to new ways with your mate.

No comments: