Friday, December 12, 2008

Be You

Yesterday, I recalled being a teenager and having to go on stage to say a speech or perform a song or act in drama. I remembered how important it was for me to see my mother in the audience.

I would peek beyond the curtains, over and over until I saw her. If I did not see her I would have a tense feeling all inside. As it came time for me to do my part I would still seek, hoping that she was out in the audience and then I spotted her.

Once I spotted her, I was relaxed. I could say what I practiced to say because she was there. When I knew she was there I could go on with confidence, as if she was the only person in the room.

When Jesus left the disciples, He told them I must go now but I will leave behind for you the Spirit. “... I go away, and come again unto you ....” (John 14:28).

“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.” (John 16:7) The Spirit is what Jesus left as a constant reminder that He is still within. The Holy Spirit is the life of Jesus. While Jesus was human, this spirit was not available to us.

As we grow into adults we are suppose to have that same type of reliance on the Lord. We are supposed to always seek His presence. Once we gain sight of His smile, His Spirit, a feeling of relaxation shall consume us; allowing us to be free to do as He wills with confidence.

In life, we will face times that we are timid to do things; yet, if we seek the Spirit as I sought my mother, we will know that Spirit resides within us.

Don’t allow fear to override what God has given you authority to do. Pray to God to fill you with His Spirit. Call upon the Lord to rain down on you. Ask God to give you courage to be free and to be the you He created you to be. For He has left us saying “I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one ...” (John 17:23).

No comments: