Monday, February 23, 2009

Divine Order

Last night, I went to sleep early because I wanted to complete several task in the morning. As the midnight hour came my children awoke one, by one hour by hour.

The time was approaching for me to wake and my baby was a bit agitated. I decided to hold him so he would fall back to sleep. As I held him I recognized how exhausted I was yet I had appointed myself to rise early to tend to certain task so I prayed to the Father to give me strength to endure through my weariness.

I got up praying for strength and as my foot touched the floor I was in good health and spirit. I lost an hour when my baby woke up but I told myself “I have divine power for all I need, I have victory.”

While it was still quiet in the house I knelt before the Lord and just thanked Him. Interestingly, though my night was of less rest I was at peace.

I had 25 minutes before my children would awake and I read a scripture I was meditating on and began to prepare breakfast. Then the children went off for school and I began to write. As I wrote I thought “Six days you shall labor and do all your work” (Exodus 20:9).

Initially, when reading this verse it appears as if it is directing us to basically work hard for six days. However, it is in fact telling us to serve for six days and do all the natural skill God has imparted upon you for six days. To labor is to serve. You might be appointed to serve at a local church or volunteering at a youth center. Perhaps you are to serve by assisting or supporting your spouse as they are serving. Or maybe you are simply to serve your children. Yet you have six days to complete you task of serving.

First, God has instructed you to serve for six days. Secondly, the Father has directed you to do all work. The work He is implying is not busy work. This scripture is referring to God’s creative work. There is something that He created you to do; something that you do as a unique being that He ordained for you to do. He is saying do it for six days.

God directs not only what you are to do but He tells you how often. When I went to sleep I had intentions on only the creative work He wanted me to do but God is orderly. I have to serve before I get to the creative part. Even when I was seeking to do the second part first He kept pushing in my face do what “He said to do first, and then I can get to the second task.”

Many times parents are stressing to their children “Do what I say first.” But how often is the parent doing what God says to do first? It is easy to get caught up in doing the creative work first because at times it’s the fun part. Yet people often want to skip out on the serving, the labor because it is not so fun.

What are you resting to do? Are you preparing for serving first? Consider doing things in an orderly fashion. Pray to God to bring to your attention how He would have you serve. Call upon the Father to forgive you for trying to do what you desired to do first. Ask God to direct you to serve and do all the creative work He ordained you to do for six days. Commit your self to do the will of the Lord in His order. “For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people” (1 Corinthians 14:33).

No comments: