Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Two For The Price of One

Yesterday, I woke up with a headache and a list of ongoing tasks. I new I wasn't going to get the devotional out in the morning, but I told God I will get it out. As the day was going by I was doing things pertaining to the conference. It was funny all of the sudden I felt weighed down.

I thought “God you couldn't be telling me to not do this conference and this song came on "Jesus is Love." I cried because that is one of the songs that will be sung at the conference. I then knew to move forward with the conference.

It is not easy working for God but the challenge is always worth it. Later that evening, I took my daughter to dance class. As we traveled back home I heard a pastor on the radio say, "You have to believe God for what you are asking for." That moment I knew God was reminding me to believe. It is our faith which activates the Lord and our obedience that gives us favor from the Father.

My obedience out weighs more than just me, it affects all those God brings in my path. When I arrived home I could have said, “I am not writing a devotional, no one is going to look at it anyway.” However, if I would have done such thing I would have allowed my condition to renege my word. I would have gone back on my faithfulness to the Lord based on having a long day. I would have broken my promise to the Father based on wanting to just be free of tasks. I would have had a day of not being faithful of my word to the Father.

Obedience brings happiness and disobedience brings unhappiness. God said, "The things I command you, observe to do"(Deuteronomy 12: 32). "If you be willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land"(Isaiah 1: 19).

It is our obedience which appeals to the Father. I can take being submissive to my spouse because I am getting two for the price of one. I gain favor insight of the Lord as well as my husband. Being an obedient daughter is easy when considering “I am getting two for the price of one.”

The greatest example of obedience is Christ. “Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him” (Hebrews 5: 8, 9).

Maybe you wrestle with being obedient. Perhaps you lack following the instructions given to you. Yet do you crave to become closer to the Father. Are you willing to know Him? Jesus said, "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou has sent" (John 17:3). Can you say today, “I know God”?

Saying I know Him is saying “I am diligent to keep His commandments.” Saying I know Him is confessing your faults and striving to not repeat them. You know the Lord by keeping His commandments (1 John 2:3). You know you will have eternal life by the Father cleansing you, as you ask for forgiveness.

Who are you striving to please? How obedient are you? Are you full of happiness because the Lord has given you favor upon your acts of obedience? Or do you slumber and live in misery based on your stubbornness?

Consider revising your choices today. Plea to the Father to forgive you for your selfish acts. Praise the Lord in advance for deliverance from disobedience. Pray to God that you have a heart of willingness to be faithful in doing His will. I pray that God prospers you in your obedience to His will. For I know the Lord is saying today "If you love me, keep my commandments", (John 14: 15).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyday it's a struggle to be obedient to the "word". I ask for forgiveness and will turn around and repeat the same thing. "oh Lord Please Deliver Me". Jamila I am glad you wrote, I my not repond but I read your devotional everytime you post it. You don't even know how many lives you help change. Continue doing what you are blessed to do and that is helping others "See the big picture" Love you Jamila, I am standing by for your next devotional.