Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kingdom First

Lately, I have felt consumed with so many tasks. I help at my church with the children’s ministry, I help at my children’s school by tutoring and I have conferences to attend on their behalf, as well as I am planning a marriage conference, in the midst of being a wife.

Yesterday, I spent most of the time allotted to work helping with my church program. I looked up and realized I did not do anything towards my ministry. I did not become angry I just said “another day.” The next day I noticed I did what I expected myself to do the day prior as well as covering ground for even more.

In the midst of my tasks God is still saying “do what I say.” As I considered the many tasks I have been executing it dawned on me that I was seeking the kingdom first and as a result the other things have been falling in place.

“Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well" (Matt 6:31-33). We are advised to seek first the kingdom of heaven. Doing the business of the Lord is awesome. When you serve the Father, he is providing and serving you. There is no room with worrying.

Today, some people are trapped with the thought of “how I pay the bills?” How will my marriage be happy? How will I have a successful career? Many are preoccupied with these kinds of concerns, but Jesus wants you to be calm. He comforted his disciples by giving them a higher purpose. He wanted them to understand that your needs, I have taken care of.

Instead of considering, how will I pay the bills or have a terrific a career, He is saying seek the kingdom of heaven. Instead of considering, how can I save my marriage, He is saying, seek the kingdom first.

God has already given you what you need for life. Are you seeking things you need for life and you already have it? Are you being anxious a saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' The corresponding account adds a guarantee: "...seek his kingdom, and all these things shall be yours as well.

Don’t ask for what you already have. Consider actively receiving eternal life that Christ has brought. Pray to the Lord that you manage your time to do as He wills. Pray to the Lord that you have wisdom to continue seeking Him. Call upon the Lord to calm your heart as you seek Him.

5 comments:

Triple M said...

You have no idea how right on time that is....I REALLY NEEDED THAT...THANK YOU!!

Jamila said...

Michael
This devotional really spoke to me yesterday. I thank the Lord for ministering to me, so I may minister to you. Continue to seek the kingdom first!

Unknown said...

Jamila,
God has amazed me once again. You did not send this to me yesterday because He knew that I needed it today. Yesterday afternoon He gave me an assignment that I have wondered how I would handle -- in the midst of everything else. I am sure that He has called me to do it and this devotional has given me final confirmation. He has really used you in an awesome way. Thank you for yielding to His Spirit with a heart of obedience. Your ministry is a blessing!

Jamila said...

Shirley,
I find Him so amazing. He brought you to my mind this morning about this devotional and I could not remember if I sent it to you so I sent it today. All praises to God. I am most happy because He keeps showing my my obedience is not only for me.

Anonymous said...

God is so Good.. a couple of weeks ago I was dealing with all kinds of task that I could not seem to complete. After becoming frustrated I suddenly realized that I needed to be still and spend time with my heavenly father. I was very obediant to give God the Glory and was given direction through him to complete a least one of the task. We all have so much on our plate but sometimes fall short on seeking him first, when God is not first in our lives nothing will go right. Thank you my beautiful sister and keep doing what you do!!! Your ministry is a Beautiful Blessing....

Rochinda